The College of Engineering attracts top students from across the world. Qualified international students are encouraged to apply to our degree programs. Application for admission to an engineering graduate program is made online through the Graduate School.
Certificate of Financial Responsibility
In addition to transcripts and references, international applicants must submit a Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR), which certifies that the applicant has adequate financial resources for the intended period of enrollment. Many outstanding international applicants receive full or partial financial support in the form of teaching and research assistantships and tuition reduction.
English Proficiency Requirement
In order to be eligible for admission to the Graduate School all international applicants, regardless of citizenship, must demonstrate proficiency in English at a level necessary to be successful in a graduate program at NC State. This requirement can be met for most applicants in one of the following ways (some programs may require additional evidence of English proficiency):
- Provide Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a total score of at least 80 on the Internet-based Test (iBT). Minimum test scores for each section are listed below:
|Section||Minimum TOEFL iBT Section Scores|
|Speaking||18 points for admission to Graduate School|
23 points for TA appointment where TA has direct verbal interactions with students
26 points for TA appointment where TA presents lectures in the class or laboratory
- Provide International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores with an overall band score of at least 6.5. Minimum test scores for each section are listed below:
|Section||Minimum IELTS Section Scores|
|Speaking||6.5 for admission to the Graduate School|
7.0 for TA appointment
- Provide Duolingo with a total score of 110 or better.
- Be a citizen of a country where English is an official language and the language of instruction in higher education.
- Have successfully completed at least one year of full-time study in a degree program at a four-year US college or university.
- TOEFL or IELTS test date must be no older than two years (24 months) prior to the beginning of the requested entry term.
For more on requirements and other information, please review NC State’s International Student Admissions Handbook.