Room to grow

Room to Go centerfold from the Fall 2016 magazine.
Select graphic to download Room to Grow (PDF).

From humble beginnings in Holladay Hall, engineering at NC State grew to occupy several buildings on the university’s North Campus. As the College of Engineering continues its eventual complete move to Centennial Campus, many of these spaces will take on a new life. Alumni can see what the buildings where they took engineering classes are used for today and what future plans might be in store.

1911 BUILDING

Built: 1909
Past: Engineering mechanics, industrial engineering
Present: Interdisciplinary studies, Department of Social Work, Department of Sociology and Anthropology

WINSTON Hall

Built: 1910
Past: Civil, chemical and electrical engineering
Present: Department of Communication

LEAZAR Hall

Built: 1912
Past: Computer science
Present: Art and Design First Year Experience, Design Research and Extension, College of Design Materials Lab

PAGE Hall

Built: 1922
Past: Mechanical and materials engineering
Present: College of Engineering administration, NC State Engineering Foundation, Inc.
Future: College of Humanities and Social Sciences

DANIELS Hall

Built: 1926
Past: Electrical, civil and industrial engineering, computer science
Present: Edward P. Fitts Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE), Office of International Services, Integrated Manufacturing Systems Engineering Institute
Future: After ISE moves to Centennial, the College will keep a presence in Daniels for the first-year engineering program.

WITHERS Hall

Built: 1939
Past: Computer science
Present: Moise Khayrallah Center for Lebanese Diaspora Studies, Department of Foreign Languages & Literatures, Department of History, Department of Philosophy & Religious Studies

BUREAU OF MINES

Built: 1945
Past: Nuclear engineering, computer science
Present: Department of Statistics
Future: College of Sciences administration

RIDDICK HALL

Built: 1951
Past: Chemical, industrial, materials and mechanical engineering
Present: Department of Physics, Department of Animal Science

BROUGHTON HALL

Built: 1951
Past: Mechanical engineering
Present: College of Sciences administration, Athletics Department, Feed the Pack Food Pantry, ROTC
Future: After a renovation and expansion project, Broughton will be the new home for the Department of Chemistry.

BURLINGTON NUCLEAR ENGINEERING LABS

Built: 1953
Past: Nuclear engineering
Present: Department of Nuclear Engineering, Nuclear Reactor Program, Precision Instrument Machine Shop

HARRELSON HALL

Built: 1961
Past: Computer science
Present: The University demolished Harrelson this summer.
Future: The Harrelson foot print will be part of a planned (rectangular) interdisciplinary science teaching building.

MANN Hall

Built: 1964
Past: Civil engineering
Present: Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering
Future: Mann will be used as classroom space and will be home to another academic department.

DABNEY HALL

Built: 1969
Past: Computer science
Present: Department of Chemistry
Future: After Chemistry moves out, Dabney will be an interdisciplinary life sciences building.


Return to contents or download the Fall/Winter 2016 NC State Engineering magazine (PDF, 3MB).

Magazine Archives