Engineering Bits & Bytes
Come spend the day at NC State with NC State faculty and engineering students, participating in engineering experiences you and your students won’t soon forget! EB&B Days are STEM curriculum enrichment experiences held on the NC State Centennial Campus for elementary, middle, and high school students. These all-day events include K-12 grade-appropriate hands-on, open-ended engineering challenges and often include tours highlighting engineering research. Please note that demand for this program exceeds availability. All students are invited to attend, including school groups and homeschooled students. Join us for a day of fun and learning! We will contact you if your school is selected!
- All events are held on the NC State Centennial campus.
- Check-in and the opening session start at Hunt Library Auditorium.
New This Year
- EB&B is an all-day event! We have included a 30-minute lunch break in the schedule.
- Individuals – $15.00
- Groups of 7-15 students – $100.00
- Groups of 16-30 students – $200.00
We will contact you regarding the status of your selection and payment process!
We have financial support to help schools and students with parents attend our programs. You can indicate your need when completing the registration form.
Due to material and staff costs, we are unable to refund or transfer group/individual registration costs. All payments made are non-refundable.
Requirements for Participation
- Parents, teachers, and chaperones must remain with their children/students throughout the entire event, from the time of arrival until the end of the program.
- Groups need to ensure the following chaperone numbers when attending the event:
- High School: 1 chaperone, 12 students
- Middle School: 1 chaperone, 10 students
- Elementary: 1 chaperone, 6 students
2023-2024 Academic Year Schedule
|Grade Level||Event |
|High School||Nov 17, 2023||Aug 31, 2023||Sep 14, 2023|
|Middle School||Jan 26, 2024||Oct 20, 2023||Nov 3, 2023|
|Elementary School||Mar 1, 2024||Dec 1, 2023||Dec 15, 2023|
Closer to event dates, details such as an event agenda and parking instructions will be emailed to those selected to attend.
2023-2024 Grade Level Descriptions & Agendas
High School Description
- Our high school EB&B event offers 9th-12th grade students an authentic problem-solving engineering experience on topics ranging from sustainable energy to cryptoanalysis.
- Students may tour the Entrepreneurship Garage, the Hunt Library, and Engineering research labs and receive a seek-peek into campus life and dormitory living at the Albright Entrepreneurship Village!
Middle School Description
- Middle School students investigate fun engineering problems that engage them as they “purposely tinker” while completing open-ended, hands-on engineering challenges.
- Students are introduced to the Engineering Design Problem-Solving Process: Identify the problem, brainstorm solutions, consider available resources, build a prototype, share results, and improve the end product.
Elementary School Description
- EB&B offers elementary students begin to understand how things work as they “Think and Do” hands-on, open-ended engineering challenges.
- Students learn about the engineering habits of mind as they engage in challenges that promote creativity, communication, optimism, resilience, collaboration, and new thinking strategies when presented with problem-solving tasks.