College of Engineering Calendar
17th Annual Paul Zia Distinguished Lecture
The 17th Annual Paul Zia Distinguished Lecture “Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge: Replacement of the Tappan Zee Bridge” will be presented on Monday, October 15, 2018, at 3 p.m. at the Stewart Theatre located in the Talley Student Union on the North Carolina State University campus. This annual lecture honors Professor Emeritus Dr. Paul Zia, former professor and department head for NC State’s Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, and a structural engineer who is eminent in research, professional society leadership and practice.
- Mr. Gang Jiao, P.E., Director I – Design Engineering of Flour
- Mr. Ken Wright, P.E., Northeast Area Principal Bridge Engineer, HDR
- Mr. Brian Keaney, P.E., Geotechnical Section Manager, HDR
They will discuss various topics related to the design and construction of the 3.1-mile twin span cable-stayed bridge including:
- Structural design of the iconic cable-stayed main span
- Design of the pile foundations
- Construction of the $3.98 billion bridge
This event is free and open to the public, but registration is required at zialecture.com/register/.