- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or related sciences.
- Must have completed an engineering-based calculus series including differential equations prior to applying to the program.
- A minimum overall undergraduate grade point average of 3.0.
- GRE scores are not required.
- All international applicants must take the TOEFL or IELTS exams (no more than two years old) unless they have completed one year of study in the United States.
- A completed online application.
- Official transcripts of all universities or colleges attended.
- Personal statement.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Completion of 30 credit hours of graduate-level courses with an overall grade-point average of 3.0.
- All classes must be graded NOT audited, meaning all 30 hours must be in graded classes.
- Completion of 21 hours of engineering classes with at least 18 hours taken from the College of Engineering and from more than one engineering discipline or computer science.
- The remaining 9 hours are in science-related classes, business, math or engineering management.
- Must take a minimum of three courses from a single specialty — subplan — area.
- The subplan area will appear on the student’s transcript if a minimum of five courses is taken in that specialty. All subplan-area classes MUST be taken from the College of Engineering at NC State University; transfer classes will not count for concentration area.
- Completion of the degree program within six years, and except for summer sessions, a student must remain continuously enrolled for a minimum of one course per fall and spring semesters until graduation. A leave of absence can be granted for two semesters under reasonable justification.
- No thesis or on-campus residency requirements.
- Completion of a graduate Plan of Work (POW) after the completion of 15 credit hours.
Plan of Study
The Master of Engineering program is a 30-credit-hour program. All requirements of the degree must be completed within six years of enrolling in the first course that appears on the NC State Graduate Plan of Work. Students who are employed full-time may enroll in only two courses per semester. It is highly recommended that new students enroll in just one course during the first semester. The average time for students to complete the Master of Engineering degree is 3.5 years.
The subplan fields* available for the Master of Engineering degree are listed below:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Management
- Industrial Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Nuclear Engineering
*Please note that there is no concentration in Civil Engineering. You may take up to three courses in Civil Engineering, but you cannot receive a subplan.
All students, upon admission to the program, are assigned an academic advisor.
Applications are considered on a rolling basis as they are received. However, we do encourage future students to submit applications by the application deadlines for each semester to receive the highest priority.
|Fall||Spr||Sum 1||Sum 2|
|U.S. Citizens:||Jun 25||Nov 25||Mar 25||May 10|
|Internationals:||Mar 1||Jul 15||Dec 15||Dec 15|
Apply online at www.ncsu.edu/grad/applygrad.htm.