Transfer Student Admission Requirements
The following list contains the admission requirements for engineering transfer students. The NC State University course number is written in parentheses for your reference. A course taken at another institution must be equivalent to the NC State course and completed with a grade of C- or better.
If NC State courses are taken, the overall NC State GPA must be at least 2.0. Core courses, also known as C wall courses, require at least a C-.
- 30 credit hours or more of transferable college-level courses
- 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA except where otherwise noted * See notes below. Some majors may consider a 2.7 - 2.9 GPA.
- College English composition course 3 credits (ENG 1** )
- Second college English composition course, 3 credits (ENG 1** ) * In lieu of requirements #3 and #4, you may take NC State (ENG 101 - 4 credits)
- College chemistry course with lab, 4 credits (CH 101 and 102)
- Calculus I, 4 credits (MA 141)
- Calculus II, 4 credits (MA 241)
- Minimum 2.5 math GPA on last two math courses at MA 141 level or higher
- Calculus-based Physics I, 4 credits (PY 205)
Once you meet the transfer admission requirements or will have the last requirements complete by early July, you are ready to apply to NC State's College of Engineering. Please note the following exceptions:
Note 1: Biomedical Engineering requires at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA. An additional Biomedical Engineering departmental application must also be completed to be considered. For more information on acceptance into Biomedical Engineering, contact Dr. Lianne Cartee at 919-515-6726.
Note 2: Mechanical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering, due to limited capacity, require at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA for admission consideration, assuming all other requirements are met. Current demand is extremely competitive, and space availability is very limited.
Note 3: Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, due to limited capacity, require at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA assuming all other requirements are met. Applicants with a 3.2 - 3.49 GPA may be considered for admission with additional departmental review. Students with a GPA 3.0 - 3.2 will be required to demonstrate potential success by taking CE 214 or CE 313 at NCSU. These students will be reviewed on an individual basis by the department.
Depending on your intended major, you may want to take additional courses. To select the appropriate courses, refer to your intended NC State engineering degree requirements.
To apply, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The final deadline for transfer applications for summer or fall is April 1. The international transfer admission deadline for fall applicants is February 1.
If you are an international student, please consult the university's transfer information for more details.