| 2010 New Faculty |
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
PhD (2010), Cornell University
Bionic microsystems, neural prosthetics, insect biobots, biomedical micro-electro-mechanical-systems, biophotonics-based brain-machine-interfaces and clinical monitoring systems.
Bozkurt received his B.Sc. degree in electrical and electronics engineering in 2001 from Bogazici University in Istanbul, Turkey, where he performed research on EEG source localization. He received his M.Sc. degree in biomedical engineering in 2004 from Drexel University, where he developed functional near infrared spectroscopy systems for brain-machine interfaces to augment cognition and clinical monitoring of the new-born brain in neonatal intensive care units. He received his PhD in 2010 from Cornell University’s School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, where he developed mi-crosystems for neural engineering applications. During his doctoral studies, Bozkurt successfully interfaced metamorphic growth of invertebrates with microelectronics based microsystems, demonstrating the concept of insect cyborgs for the first time. He also worked as an official consultant for the recent Disney movie “G-Force” produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. Bozkurt is a recipient of the Calhoun Fellowship from Drexel University and the Donald Kerr Award at Cornell University.
- Bozkurt, A., Gilmour, R., Lal, A. (2010). In Vivo Electrochemical Characterization of Tissue-Electrode Interface During Metamorphic Growth. (Submitted)
- Bozkurt, A., Lal, A. (2010). Low-Cost Flexible Printed Circuit Technology- based Microelectrode Array for Extracellular Stimulation of Invertebrate Locomotory System. (Submitted)
- Bozkurt, A., Gilmour, R., Lal, A. (2009). Balloon Assisted Flight of Radio Controlled Insect Biobots. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 56:9, pp. 2304-7. (cover article)
- Bozkurt, A., Gilmour, R., Sinha, A., Stern, D., Lal, A. (2009). Insect Machine Interface Based Neuro Cybernetics. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 56:6, pp. 1727-33.
- Bozkurt, A., Gilmour, R., Stern, D., Lal, A. (2008). MEMS-based Bioelectronic Neuromuscular Interfaces for Insect Cyborg Flight Control. 21st IEEE International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS 2008), Tucson, AZ, January 2008, pp. 160-163.
- Bozkurt, A., Rosen, A., Rosen, H., Onaral, B. (2005). A Portable Near Infrared Spectroscopy System for Bedside Monitoring of Newborn Brain. Biomedical Engineering Online, 4:29.
- Bozkurt, A., Onaral, B. (2004). Safety Assessment of Light Emitting Diodes for Continuous Wave Diffuse Optical Measurements. Biomedical Engineering Online, 3:9.
(New Faculty Profile Published: 2010)