Transfer Eligibility Requirements
The numbered list below contains the minimum requirements to be eligible to apply and be considered for transfer into the College of Engineering at NC State. Since transfer admissions into the College are very competitive, meeting the eligibility requirements only guarantees that a transfer application may be considered; it does not guarantee admission. As such, the minimum requirements listed here should be used as a baseline.
- The NC State University course number is written in parentheses for your reference. A course taken at another institution must be equivalent to the exact NC State course and completed with a grade of C- or better.
- If NC State courses are taken, the overall NC State GPA must be at least 2.0. Core courses (chemistry, calculus and physics), also known as C-wall courses, require at least a C.
- 30 credit hours or more of transferable college-level courses
- 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA except where otherwise noted below
- Minimum 4 credit hours of English composition, 4 credits (ENG 101) (One or more English composition (ENG 1**) courses may be combined to fulfill the requirement (total > 4 credits).)
- College chemistry course with lab, 4 credits (CH 101 and 102)
- Calculus I, 4 credits (MA 141)
- Calculus II, 4 credits (MA 241)
- Minimum 2.5 math GPA on last two math courses at MA 141 level or higher
- Calculus-based Physics I with lab, 4 credits (PY 205 and PY 206)
Once you meet the transfer admission requirements or will have the last requirements completed by the end of the spring semester, you are ready to apply to NC State's College of Engineering. Please note the following exceptions:
Note 1: Joint NC State/UNC Department of Biomedical Engineering requires at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA. An additional biomedical engineering departmental application must also be completed to be considered. For more information on acceptance into biomedical engineering, contact Dr. Lianne Cartee at (919) 515-6726.
Note 2: The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, due to limited capacity, requires at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA for admission consideration. Current demand is extremely competitive, and space availability is very limited.
Note 3: The Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, due to limited capacity, requires at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA assuming all other requirements are met. Applicants with a 3.2 - 3.49 GPA may be considered for admission with additional departmental review. Students with a GPA 3.0 - 3.2 will be required to demonstrate potential success by taking CE 214 or CE 313 at NC State. These students will be reviewed on an individual basis by the department.
Depending on your intended major, you may want to take additional courses. To select the appropriate courses, refer to your intended NC State engineering degree requirements.
To apply, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. For transfer applications, the first deadline is January 15 and the final deadline is March 15. The deadline for international applications is January 15. The College of Engineering does not accept applications for spring transfer.
If you are an international student, please consult the university's transfer information for more details.