Transfer Eligibility Requirements
The numbered list below contains the minimum requirements to be eligible to apply and be considered for transfer into the College of Engineering at NC State. Since transfer admissions into the College are very competitive, meeting the eligibility requirements only guarantees that a transfer application may be considered; it does not guarantee admission. As such, the minimum requirements listed here should be used as a baseline.
- The NC State University course number is written in parentheses for your reference. A course taken at another institution must be equivalent to the exact NC State course and completed with a grade of C- or better.
- If NC State courses are taken, the overall NC State GPA must be at least 2.0. Core courses (chemistry, calculus and physics), also known as C-wall courses, require at least a C.
- 30 credit hours or more of transferable college-level courses
- 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA except where otherwise noted below
- Minimum 4 credit hours of English composition, 4 credits (ENG 101) (One or more English composition (ENG 1**) courses may be combined to fulfill the requirement (total > 4 credits).)
- College chemistry course with lab, 4 credits (CH 101 and 102)
- Calculus I, 4 credits (MA 141)
- Calculus II, 4 credits (MA 241)
- Minimum 2.5 math GPA on last two math courses at MA 141 level or higher
- Calculus-based Physics I with lab, 4 credits (PY 205 and PY 206)
Please note that the requirements above are minimums for eligibility to transfer into the College of Engineering. Due to high demand, programs listed below are much more competitive and preference is given to higher GPAs.
- Aerospace Engineering and Mechanical Engineering: GPA ≥ 3.5, no exceptions; extremely competitive admissions based on space availability
- Biomedical Engineering:
GPA ≥ 3.5, no exceptions; an additional departmental application must be completed to be considered; contact Dr. Lianne Cartee at 919.515.6726 for more information
- Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, Environmental Engineering and Industrial Engineering: GPA ≥ 3.5; very competitive; applicants with GPAs ≥ 3.25 but < 3.5 may increase their competitiveness with strong performances in additional, technical coursework (e.g., Calculus III, Physics II, Engineering Statics, Chemistry II, Organic Chemistry, etc.)
Once you meet the transfer admission requirements or will have the last requirements completed by the end of the spring semester, you are ready to apply to NC State's College of Engineering.
Depending on your intended major, you may want to take additional courses. To select the appropriate courses, refer to your intended NC State engineering degree requirements.
To apply, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. For transfer applications, the first deadline is January 15 and the final deadline is March 15. The deadline for international applications is January 15. The College of Engineering does not accept applications for spring transfer.
If you are an international student, please consult the university's transfer information for more details.